Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy Birthday to my girl!


Today is my little girl's 10th birthday! I CAN'T believe that Princess is 10 already. It almost is harder for me to deal with than my kids, because even though it's hard to watch my kids grow up, she is getting OLD. And that makes me very sad. She has really been aging lately, mainly because of her leg problems (she had an ACL repair in November). I know some people (think Tom, or non-dog people) don't get my attachment to her, being that she is just a dog. But I truly get the whole "man's best friend thing" since having her. When we got her she was just a four pound little ball of fur. I ignored everyone (my mom and Tom) who said we should not be getting a dog, that it wasn't the right time in our lives. She was just too adorable to not buy. It only took a few days for me to realize what they were talking about. Man, she was a ton of work. She got into everything. Alex was 14 months at the time, and I think she chewed up just about every toy we had. All of the arms were chewed off of all of the little people we had. (I like to think it taught Alex acceptance, even for people without arms ;o) ) She would screech and cry all night long because she hated her cage. If Tom so much as turned over in bed, she'd jump up and start crying. At which point, I would want to kill him. I would lay completely still the entire night, hoping to not wake her. She would spend the entire day running. Running up the hall, down the hall, through the family room, through the kitchen, and start all over again. I would take her for walks twice a day, for a couple of miles, but it still wouldn't put a dent in her energy. I would be walking through the house and she would be biting at my pants while I walked. I still say she was more work than my kids were as babies. But somewhere along the line she calmed down (somewhat, lol) and she turned into one of the best things in my life. I can say that nobody is more excited to see me when I come home. She is definitely a mama's girl, and one of my favorite things in the whole world. Sometimes I think I should have had five dogs instead, heehee. She has turned into an old lady, who has horrible arthritis and doesn't like kids, but she'll always be my baby.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Princess! Moxie's turning 1 on the 17th...maybe we can have a joint birthday party for them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I have two girl doggies. An old one called Jessie who turned 13 on April 15th and little Candy who is 2. It is sad watching the older ones get old. :-(

    ReplyDelete